Big Papi: David Ortiz emotional goodbye

pic via WSJ.com

pic via WSJ.com

It was a sad day in the world of baseball as the Boston Red Sox lost to the Cleveland Indians on Monday evening, they were eliminated from the postseason.

It was also the official end to the legendary career of David Ortiz aka Big Papi. Let’s get one thing straight, Cleveland did NOT end his career, this was in fact his LAST game and it was a shame it had to end this way.  

They all wanted to see Ortiz, to applaud him, to have him wave back one last time as a player. And all of that did happen, and it was memorable, and he cried, and we all cried, and it had the power to blind you to the reality that it wasn’t supposed to end this way.

No one knew what would happen next. It hadn’t been scripted, maybe because no one could have expected the end to come so soon

Throughout his MLB career, which began with the Minnesota Twins, Ortiz posted a career .286 batting average and accumulated 541 home runs, 1,768 RBI and 2,472 hits. The 40-year-old was a three-time World Series champion with the Red Sox (capturing the fall classic’s MVP in 2013), a 10-time All-Star and a six-time Silver Slugger winner.

Included in his top on-field moments are his 500th home run, hitting the 51 home-run mark in a single season (2006), his final All-Star Game (2016) and multiple postseason game and series-saving hits.

He had signed out of the Dominican Republic with the Seattle Mariners in 1992 as a 17-year-old who just wanted to have fun, but over the next almost quarter of a century he had lived his dream

“Tonight, when I walked out to the mound, I realized that it was over,” he said. “It was pretty much the last time as player I’ll walk in front of a crowd. And the emotion came back out again.”

Ortiz broke into tears when he mentioned his late mother before gathering himself together to thank his teammates and members of the organization from owner John Henry to clubhouse attendant Pookie Jackson. He also thanked the fans — dropping to one knee and tipping his cap to the crowd.

"He changed the Red Sox," MLB Commissioner Manfred said before the game. "He was a key part of the amazing three wins here. It changed the course of the franchise.

"But I also think that he changed the city. He became a symbol of the strength of the city and will always be remembered for that."

Red Sox fans are left to view this entire season in a different perspective — how it once held such promise, and how it ended all so suddenly.